Saturday, January 5, 2013

Upcycled Muffin Tin Crayons

David and his Dad had a blast outside on this sunny and not-so-freezing temperature Minnesota day! James and I spent the hour or two cleaning the kitchen and going through the crayon box.

It seemed like a waste to put all the little broken pieces of crayon in the garbage, but more often than not I was picking the pieces of crayon out of James' mouth!

I decided to search on Pinterest some ideas for upcycling my crayons. I decided to pop them into the oven in a mini muffin pan to reuse the bits!

James helped me put the crayons into the muffin spots. He only dumped the tin out 2 or three times in the process. We were having so much fun, the fact the project took three times as long with him helping, was no bother to me at all!

Upcycled Muffin Tin Crayons 
Mini Muffin Pan
Crayon Bits (Paper Removed)
Oven Pre-Heated to 275 Degrees
Hot Pads

Place assortment of crayon bits to top of muffin spots. Bake for 13 minutes. Carefully remove hot tin from oven and let cool for 25 minutes on hot pads (and away from children's reach!). Place tin in fridge for additional 15 minutes to cool.

Remove crayons on a dish towel to "break their fall". We also let the crayons come back down to room temperature before coloring with them!


 
 

Other upcycled crayon ideas and tips:

Photo Credit // Good Knits
Good Knits used a silicon heart shape pan. After completion, she tagged the heart crayons with the phrase "You Color My World" and handed them out at a Valentines day party!

Photo Credit // Juggling with Kids
Juggling with kids sprayed her muffin tin with vegetable oil for easy removal and clean-up. I did not do this step and am not looking forward to cleaning my pan!


Photo Credit // Simply Sprout
Simply Sprout used only blue and green colored crayons and packaged them as earths for Earth Day! She instructed kids to count 7 blues and 3 greens into each muffin tin to create the earths. She also has a free printable on her post for making the bags!

The possibilities seem endless for this super easy upcycled crayon craft! Did you do something crafty with your kids today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment to my blog posts! Thank you!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...